She could have been somebody.
A real contender.
If there hadn’t been a global economic depression.
If the world hadn’t been engaged in a world war.
And if she hadn’t been a woman.
Through Fate or Good Fortune or the simple dedication of someone who was not discouraged by rejection, she came to lead the Mathematical Tables Project, a quirky work-relief office that was intended to give employment to workers who were unable to find a job. She turned it into the world’s most power computing organization. At least the most powerful organization before computing people were replaced by computing machines.
She did calculations for the government, for the military, for scientists and engineers. They were championed by Einstein, by John von Neuman, professors from Cornell and MIT. She dined at the White House and sat at tables of power. Until she was forgotten. Forgotten by a country that is more constant in its love of technology than it is in its love of people.
A story of Gertrude Blanch, her best friend Ida Rhodes, and their improbably employer, the Mathematical Tables Project. A story of love, dedication, courage and (brace yourselves) long division.
Gold Medal Recipient at the 2023 Hear / Now Audio Drama Festival.
Cast: (in order of named appearance)
- Josh Wilson – Chief Whip, Milt Abramowitz
- Debbon Ayer – Gertrude Blanch
- Josh LaForce – Dr. Jones, Nurse, Chorus
- Zoe Anastasiou – Judy, Orderly, Chorus
- Geoffrey Grier – Leonard Marx, Commissioner, Chorus
- Sahara Ale – Sister, Chorus
- Ron Bianchi – Arnold Lowan, Chorus
- Kit Kuksenok – Customer, Chorus
- Michelle Thomas-Hanson – Arlene, Chorus, Stage Manager
- Margaux Amie – Ida Rhodes
- Noah Masur – Dr. Smith
- Anastasia DeLoret – Linda, Chorus
- Kota Fudauchi – Ken, Chorus
- Ethan Madds – IBM Guard, Chorus
- Tehya Merrit – Evie, Chair, Chorus
- Skippy –Himself
Sound Design: Hilbert Space
Music Direction: Mel O’Dea Studios
Music: Alibi Music, Atomic Music (used with permission)
Dramaturgy: Steve Harper and the Writers Workshop at Theatre503
Graphic Artist: Ava N Garda
Podcast: Play in new window | Download